|THE INTERIM YEARS|
• 1991 Congress comes to power on sympathy vote after the martyrdom of Shri Rajiv Gandhi.
• 1991 P.V. Narasimha Rao chosen Congress Prime Minister.
• 1991 Dr Manmohan Singh as Finance Minister takes first steps towards opening up the economy and making it globally competitive.
• 1996 Congress loses General Elections.
• 1996 P.V. Narasimha Rao resigns from Presidentship of Party.
• 1996 Sitaram Kesri chosen as President.
• 1997 IN THE RUN UP TO THE GENERAL ELECTIONS CONGRESS DEMORALISED AND LEADERS THREATENING TO LEAVE THE PARTY. ALL PSEPHOLOGISTS PREDICT TOTAL DISASTER FOR THE PARTY.
• 1997 SMT. SONIA GANDHI PERSUADED TO CAMPAIGN FOR THE PARTY TO STOP IT FROM COLLAPSING ALTOGETHER.