|CONSOLIDATION AND BEYOND|
• Demand for Fiscal Responsibility.
• Demand for Indianisation of Services.
• Protest against economic emasculation.
• Government insensitive to Natural disasters.
• Famine Plague Floods.
• Lokmanya Tilak works for the famine affected polpulace of Pune - accused of inciting violence by his writings in "Kesari" - imprisoned.
• The Curzon Vice-Royalty - many repressive measures Sedition Act curbing the elementary liberties of the people Official Secrets Act with burden of proof of innocence shifted onto the accused.
• Protest against proposed Partition of Bengal along communal lines.
• 1896 Resolution blaming the British for creating the Famine.
• 1899 First Party Constitution framed.
• 1900 British reaction to growing Congress Movement - curb availability of Education to Indians - Universities Act seeks to limit spread of English education.
• 1901 Mahatma Gandhi appears on the Congress platform for the first time seeking support for the struggle in South Africa.